35 Ways to Unleash the Power of WOM
For today’s lesson, we’ll discuss how to unleash the power of positive Word of Mouth marketing.
To begin, here is the proven six-step process to successfully harnessing Word of Mouth:
- Understand your customers’ values and priorities…this helps you understand why they would buy your products.
- Understand the different adopter types: innovators, early adopters, middle majority, late adopters, and laggards.
- Identify which decision stages are needed for your product to be adopted.
- Use the information from steps 2 & 3 to figure out which wording and Word of Mouth tactics will work based on the needs and decision-making process of your respective adopters.
- Put together the resources for the highest Word of Mouth impact.
- Create and implement your Word of Mouth campaign.
Next, let’s move on to the 35 ways to unleash the power of positive WOM:
Experts can come in many forms and all their opinions should be taken into consideration when putting together a WOM campaign. Some experts to gather information from include:
- Experts’ roundtables
- Experts’ selling groups
Seminars, Workshops & Speeches
These venues are a perfect opportunity to gather information. People who attend these types of events are used to giving feedback, so you can use a survey or other method to gather information you can look over later. Some events to use are:
- Speakers programs
- Group selling
- Dinner meetings
- Peer selling groups
- Teleconferenced experts’ panels
- Trade show events/opportunities
“Canned” Word of Mouth
The concept of “canned” Word of Mouth is using hard and online products to get feedback and offer information at the same time. Some ideas for these are:
- World Wide Web
As we’ve highlighted before, a referral program can help with a variety of things in building your business. By using some of the following tactics and opportunities you can find out exactly what you need to do to generate positive Word of Mouth. These tactics and opportunities are:
- Referral Selling Program
The concept of “new” media is the use of up and coming media sources and opportunities to get the word out about your products and services and listen for the feedback about them. Here are some of the “new” media options:
- Web-based word of mouth, such as forums, e-mail, etc.
- Call centers
- Faxback services
Using Traditional Media for Word of Mouth
Using traditional media is a great way to get feedback. These are still considered mainstream ways of interacting with the public and consumers. Some traditional media outlets are:
- Customer service
- Word of Mouth in ads, sales brochures, or direct mail
- Salesperson programs, sales stars, or peer training
- Word of Mouth incentive programs (“Tell-a-friend” programs)
- Customer gifts they can share with their friends (articles, how-to manuals)
Internal Word of Mouth
- Encourage employee Word of Mouth and sharing feedback with family, friends, and others
- Offer rewards or commission for Word of Mouth success
As you can see, there are a plethora of ideas you can work with to increase your level of positive Word of Mouth marketing.
What have been your success stories for obtaining a consistent flow of positive Word of Mouth buzz and referrals from your customer base?
Please leave a comment below.